What emergency services are provided in Scottsville?
– Dial 911 in an emergency. Scottsville employs three police officers and is served by the nearby Scottsville Volunteer Fire Department and Scottsville Volunteer Rescue Squad.
Is there a local Chamber of Commerce?
– Established in 1964, the Scottsville Community Chamber of Commerce is a chartered member of the Virginia Chamber of Commerce. You can contact the Chamber at 434.286.6000, or P. O. Box 11, Scottsville, VA 24590.
The Chamber runs the Scottsville Area Visitors Center at 265 Valley Street and publishes a Scottsville Area Phone Directory, which is available at the Town Office.
Where do I apply for a business license?
– You must have a license to run a business in the Town. Apply for a license at the Town Office, or call 434.286.9267.
Are there any restrictions on signs for my business?
– The Town has local regulations and requires a sign permit application.
Where do I go for a building permit?
– Structural change to any building requires a building permit, which are issued by the county in which you reside (Albemarle or Fluvanna). You do not need to apply to the Town for a permit, unless you live in the Historic District.
Changes that affect the outside appearance of a building in the Historic District and in the entrance corridors require approval from the Architectural Review Board prior to applying for a permit. After approval, the permitting process proceeds normally. If you are in the Historic District, you should allow at least a month for the building permit process. Contact the Town Administrator at 434.286.9267, who can explain the permit process in more detail.
Whom do I ask about taxes?
– Property taxes are collected by the County; however, the Business, Professional, and Occupational License (BPOL) taxes are collected by the Town, as well as a Meals Tax and Transient Occupancy Tax.