Frequently Asked Questions

Print pagePDF pageEmail page

Scottsville Fire DepartmentWhat emergency services are provided in Scottsville?
– Dial 911 in an emergency. Scottsville employs three police officers and is served by the nearby Scottsville Volunteer Fire Department and Scottsville Volunteer Rescue Squad.

Is there a local Chamber of Commerce?
– Established in 1964, the Scottsville Community Chamber of Commerce is a chartered member of the Virginia Chamber of Commerce. You can contact the Chamber at 434.286.6000, or P. O. Box 11, Scottsville, VA 24590.

sccc-logoThe Chamber runs the Scottsville Area Visitors Center at 265 Valley Street and publishes a Scottsville Area Phone Directory, which is available at the Town Office.

Where do I apply for a business license?
– You must have a license to run a business in the Town. Apply for a license at the Town Office, or call 434.286.9267.

Are there any restrictions on signs for my business?
– The Town has local regulations and requires a sign permit application.

Where do I go for a building permit?
– Structural change to any building requires a building permit, which are issued by the county in which you reside (Albemarle or Fluvanna). You do not need to apply to the Town for a permit, unless you live in the Historic District.

Changes that affect the outside appearance of a building in the Historic District and in the entrance corridors require approval from the Architectural Review Board prior to applying for a permit. After approval, the permitting process proceeds normally. If you are in the Historic District, you should allow at least a month for the building permit process. Contact the Town Administrator at 434.286.9267, who can explain the permit process in more detail.

Whom do I ask about taxes?
– Property taxes are collected by the County; however, the Business, Professional, and Occupational License (BPOL) taxes are collected by the Town, as well as a Meals Tax and Transient Occupancy Tax.