History comes alive in Scottsville, Virginia. The Town and partners have developed a mobile friendly Walking Tour Map with videos that can be viewed on your phone or tablet to explore Scottsville.
The downtown area, also known as the Scottsville Historic District, was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 for its well-preserved architecture and role in Virginia transportation and Civil War history. Download the Scottsville Walking Tour map in PDF here.
Visitors to Central Virginia sites such as Monticello (the home of Thomas Jefferson), Appomattox Court House (site of Lee’s surrender during the U.S. Civil War), and Walton’s Mountain (namesake of the television series The Waltons), will find a visit to the Town of Scottsville and our historic district as a rewarding addition to their journey.
Historic Sites and Museums
Canal Basin Square – 249 Main Street – 434.286.9267
Canal Basin Square is an outdoor transportation history park featuring Virginia’s James River and Kanawha Canal story from the Monacans to the railroads. Exhibits explain river and canal travel in the 18th and 19th centuries and how different means of transportation affected Scottsville. On display is a replica of a James River batteau. and a scale-model demonstration canal lock. The park is also a Virginia Civil War Trails Site.
Hours: For self-guided tours, 7:00 a.m. to dark during Spring, Summer, and Fall when there is no chance of freezing weather. School field trips and guided tours are available by appointment, call 434.286.9267.
Call the Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society at 434.296.1492 or visit the website to make sure the ferry is in service. The ferry cannot operate when the water level in the James River is too high or too low.
Pine Knot is a rustic cottage four miles from the Town of Scottsville that served as the Albemarle County getaway for President Theodore Roosevelt and his family from 1905-1908. Visits are by appointment only.
The Scottsville Confederate Cemetery on Moore’s Hill contains the graves of 41 Confederate soldiers who died in Scottsville hospitals. The cemetery was restored between 1908-1914, and the Scottsville Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy, erected the central granite shaft monument and 40 granite markers. In 2001, the Scottsville UDC installed a brass plaque at the cemetery that identifies the names and units of 40 of the 41 deceased soldiers.
The Scottsville Museum is home to exhibits on James River transportation, local history, the Civil War, Native American artifacts, and photographs. Admission is free.
Hours: The museum is open April through October, Saturdays 10:00 am – 5:00 pm and Sundays 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm. The Museum is also open on Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day or by appointment.